Sunday 13 April 2014

A Little Chat About Eyebrows

Filling in my brows is my least favourite part of my makeup. Do they look even, are they too dark, do they look natural? I normally just end up thinking, sod it that will do. 
Yes filling in your eyebrows is a pain.

At school I was obsessed with plucking my brows, they genuinely looked horrific. They were so thin, consisting of about 3 hairs and ended halfway across my eye. I have now spent untold years trying to grow them back and if anything I should tweeze them more often, but I just feel like each hair is so precious now I cant bear to pluck it away. 

We are in the middle of an unprecedented eyebrow epidemic. On the street, at work, in the supermarket, on instagram I am encountered by beautiful women who are complete ruining their faces with the most awful coloured in eyebrows. Consider this an intervention!

I for one have far from perfect brows, trust me its been a ongoing battle. I should also point out that I genuinely want Julia Roberts circa Pretty Woman eyebrows, I want those babies au naturel and in their untamed glory. 

I think we have forgotten that eyebrows are made up of hairs. If I shaved my head but then drew a felt tip outline around my scalp and coloured it in, would you think my hair had grown back?

No

No, you wouldn't. The same applies to your eyebrows.

When it comes to eyebrows there are two products I swear by. I recently had to repurchase both and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share their general amazingness and also throw in a few brow tips for good measure.

Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Soft Brunette

This is my weapon of choice when it comes to filling in my brows. This is double ended, with your pencil at one end and an ingenious brush at the other. There are a few reasons why I love this so much. Number one, the slanted pencil makes it so much easier and quicker to fill in your brows and number two the brush is perfect for brushing them through, to ensure the colour is evenly distributed and ensuring they don't look too dark. 
Now this does not come cheap at £26.00 but one of these lasts me months and I really feel they are worth the investment.

Whatever you use to fill in your eyebrows, whether its a pencil or a shadow, there are a few tips you can use to make it easier

* Pick a colour that is roughly 2 shades lighter than your natural eyebrow colour. Whatever you do, don't pick a colour that is darker than your natural brows. This is when things start going wrong.

* Pick an ashy colour, you don't want your eyebrow colour to be red/warm toned, as again this doesn't look natural. This is the problem with a lot of cheaper eyebrow pencils, they are just too warm. 

Illamasqua Brow and Lash Gel

This is the best brow gel ever made because it actually keeps your brows in place and defines the individual hairs. Sometimes when Ive filled my brows in I think they can look a bit dark, but brushing this through helps separate the hairs again, keeping everything looking much more natural looking. I don't like perfect looking brows, no, no I like my brows to look a little ungroomed, remember Julia Roberts!

* If you don't have an eyebrow gel, use a clean mascara wand/eyebrow brush, spray it with hairspray and brush though. It will do exactly the same job.

* If you are filling in your brows with a separate pencil/shadow I would use a clear gel to stop your brows getting too dark. If you are just using a gel, then a tinted one is good. Just remember to always pick a colour lighter than your natural brows.

 I will dismount my soapbox now but women of the world, know that my words are meant with nothing but love! 





No comments:

Post a Comment