I'm not a fan of Sunday traditions, roast dinners and The Antiques Roadshow, followed by cheese and crackers. Its all a bit depressing, although I am partial to a bit of Countryfile, hello Matt Baker ;)
I do have my own Sunday tradition though, which is the manicure. I change my nail polish all the time (every 2-3 days) but on a Sunday I go the whole hog. Nail painting is an art and badly painted nails are my biggest pet peeve. I studied Beauty Therapy and learning how to paint nails was the best thing about that year!
Follow my step by step manicure and never flood your cuticles again!
First up, gather your equipment. You will need:
Cotton wool - Pads are the best
Nail Polish Remover
4 Sided Nail Buffer
Nail Polish - Any colour!
1. Remove your nail polish - The most obvious step, but I know some people (Chloe) are guilty of painting over their chipped polish! This will also prep your nails and remove the natural oils from your nails, which will extend the wear of your polish. My favourite nail polish remover is the Zoya Remove +
3. Repeat step 1 - After using the cuticle gel make sure you go over each nail again with nail polish remover, just a quick swipe is needed! This will remove the excess gel and make your nail polish last longer. Its like applying foundation, if you apply your foundation immediately after you've moisturised it wont last as long. Same applies to your nails, make sure they are prepped!
5. Buff - My nail buffer is my secret weapon and will make your nail polish last all week. I always use the Models Own buffer which you can buy from Boots. The buffer has 4 sides, side 1 is a really rubbish file which I never use, so I start with step 2. buff, followed by step 3. smooth and step 4. shine.
Not only does buffing your nails make your polish last longer, it also helps reduce ridges in your nails and if you have stained your nails it will help take the stain out.
8. Shine - Top coat, please don't skip it! It makes all the difference and adds shine. Its like the perfect sandwich, base coat, 2 coats of polish and top coat. The top coat seals everything in and is the final step in increasing your polish wear time. The only top coat I use is the Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. A life changing product, my nails are dry within 5 minutes. I would never be without this!
9. Oil - Cuticle oil stops your cuticles becoming dry and ragged. I love Solar Oil but have just finished my bottle so picked this Almond Nail and Cuticle Oil up from The Body Shop. It comes in a handy clicky pen, so you can chuck it in your bag and apply it anytime.
And not a flooded cuticle in sight!