Friday, 11 January 2013
12 Makeup favourites of 2012
1. Laura Mercier Mineral Powder - I couldn't pick a foundation for the year, but I knew when it came to powder there would be no contest. I'm on my third pot of this stuff (for reference I usually wear the shade Natural Beige but I am currently trying Real Sand which is a touch lighter). The finish of this powder is beautiful, it leaves my skin glowing. I cannot recommend this enough.
2. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer (Shade SC-3) - This is the best concealer for blemishes, its industrial strength! It covers everything and the darker shade blends in with my skin tone perfectly. You get two shades of concealer, you can blend the two together to make your perfect shade or use the lighter colour under the eyes and the darker colour for blemishes. This concealer will also last you forever as you need so little. I think I need to try a Laura Mercier foundation next, seeing as both her concealer and powder are in my top 12!
3. Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer - I have used a lot of very expensive under eye concealers, most recently the By Terry Touche Veloutee which costs a wopping £35.00. This Maybelline concealer costs £6.99 and is ten times better! Honestly the best under eye concealer I have used, it has the perfect balance of coverage and highlighting. I wouldn't use anything else now.
4. L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic Waterproof Mascara - I had a bit of a love affair with this mascara this year. It adds both length and volume to your lashes and doesn't smudge on me at all. I honestly believe with mascara that drugstore is way better then high end. This mascara along with the Maybelline concealer have really made me fall back in love with drugstore makeup, there are some real gems out there and this is one of them!
5. MAC Powder Blush The Perfect Cheek (Matte) - This blush came out with MAC's Marilyn Monroe collection and I would have to say it was probably the best thing in that collection. I wore this blush none stop for a good few months. The colour is perfect, natural but still gives you a beautiful flush to the cheeks. Its the perfect blush for when you don't know what to wear or when the rest of your makeup is quite heavy. Such a shame that its not permanent to MAC's range, but this was the second time it had been released so I'm sure they will release it again at some point. On a side note I really hope MAC improve their collections this year, I want to get as excited as I was about Venomous Villains! Imagine if they released a Disney Princess version (SQUEAL!)
6. MAC Prunella Eye Kohl - OK this was a very random I have some euros left and I want to spend them in MAC holiday airport purchase. I never really thought I would love it, but I could remember someone on YouTube mentioning it (it may have been Kandee Johnson but I cant remember) and I just wanted to try it! I don't know what it is about this eyeliner but I will now never be without it! Since Ive got it, this is pretty much the only eyeliner I have worn. Its a dark, slightly metallic plummy colour and all I do is line my upper eye (pretty messily) and smudge it out with my finger and it looks beautiful! I like it because its not as harsh as a black but gives something more then a brown. Honestly I urge you to try this.
7. Chanel Emerveille Illusion D'Ombre - One thing that has changed about my make up this past year is that I want to achieve a more natural look. I want makeup to enhance my features, rather then mask them and with this I have also found I favour products that are quick and easy to use and if I can apply them with my fingers even better! Cream eye shadows are a perfect example of this. I slap this on with my fingers, then apply Prunella, smudge it out, apply mascara and I'm done. I love it and its so much easier then using 2 different eye shadows and 2 different brushes. Emerveille is the perfect colour peachy colour to make you look awake, I wish Chanel had more neutral colours in this range as I would swap all my eye shadows for these!
8. Givenchy Hydra Sparkling Magic Lip and Cheek Balm (Shades Peachy and Rosy Glow) - Without a doubt my favourite lip balm ever. I can't believe these little pots don't get talked about more because they are amazing. I have two shades but I believe the Peachy Glow was a limited release for Spring/Summer but don't panic because the pink colour "Rosy Glow" is actually my favourite and is available all year round. Now I am favouring a more natural look, rosy glow fits in with that perfectly. This is a gorgeous pink colour which adapts with your skins PH, so depending on the person you will get a different shade. Honestly, I am obsessed with these, I really want them to release a red shade that would be amazing!
9. MAC Lingering Eyebrows - I think I have got through at least 6 of these this year, so really there was no way I could not include this in my favourites. Best eyebrow pencil I have used, lasts all day, very creamy, and the colour is so universal. I have got all three of my best friends using this now and that's saying something because they are not YouTube beauty addicts like us! Only downside is how quickly these run out, I have to buy two at a time now just in case!
10. Burberry English Rose Lip Cover - I can't do nude lips, I wish I could. I long to buy Creme de Nude, Myth or Hue but I just cant because they make me look like a corpse! This is my kind of nude, if you are after a Rosie Huntington-Whiteley lip colour then this one is perfect.
11. Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick - OK this was a very late contender but I have decided to put it in as I have fallen in love with it. This is a cult beauty item that has been around for years but what made me try it is (now this is very sad I know) Lord of the Rings! I am a huge Liv Tyler fan, even bigger Steve Tyler fan ;) and I was watching it the other day and just became a bit obsessed with her make up. After googling I found that this was the lipstick they used, so of course I had to try it. It looks very scary in the tube but on the lips its very sheer and moisturing almost like a balm, this is something I will always have in my makeup bag now and maybe I'll do a post on my Arwen inspired make up ;)
12. Miners Cherry Tin o' Tint Lip Balm - Again, another late contender but I am so in love with this lip balm at the moment that there was no way I couldn't include it, plus its only £2.99! If you haven't already noticed, I love tinted lip balms and this Miners one is my favourite for the beautiful cherry colour. As I mentioned I am going through my Arwen make up stage and this colour is perfect.
So that was a lot harder then it looks! I would love to hear your favourites and any recommendations.